Ajman Data Visualization Challenge
Ajman Data Visualization Challenge
Unlike a hackathon, which focuses mostly on applications and IT related outcomes, the purpose of this challenge is to encourage and target a wider range of audience from students, researchers, data scientists and artists…etc. whom have the ability to use their visualization research skills & techniques to contribute to the new way of letting the data speak for itself. This challenge is looking for people with creative visualizations and other artwork outcomes that can create stories and speak about Ajman using its current available 550+ open data sets.
General Rules of the Challenge
• This competition is open to all people around the world.
• You can participate as an individual or in a team up to 4 people.
• You can submit up to 2 submissions and you get a chance to do up to 3 updates on the sent submission.
• All submissions must fulfil the eligibility criteria provided below.
The submission will be reviewed and evaluated by a jury of experts who will be announced later on this page.
• You can submit your visualization in a range of media formats such as; interactive infographic, graphic images, motion graphics or video.
• All web-based visualization must function in standard browsers (Chrome, Safari, Edge and Firefox).
• For web-based visualizations, you are expected to host it and submit the URL of the page only.
• The copyrights of the winning visualizations will belong to Department Digital Ajman and will be hosted on the official portal of the emirate: www.ajman.ae with the winner name and social media contacts for 1 year.
• For each submission, you can use more than one dataset and from any source as long as you use at least one dataset from the Ajman Government’s data sources provided https://www.ajman.ae/en/ajman-data.
• The language of the submission should be either in Arabic or English.
• You should submit your visualization on the dedicated challenge web page available on Ajman.ae.
Awards and Rating
All submissions that meet the eligibility criteria will be evaluated against the following criteria and each jury assigned to a submission will give the submission a score from 1 to 5 for each point mentioned below:
• Clarity: presents information that is clear, accessible, accurate, timely and meaningful.
• Storytelling: uses narrative, point of view, or tone to tell a persuasive story.
• Aesthetics: embodies beauty, balance, and visual originality.
• Originality: to what extent the visualization’s approach and design are innovative.
• Inspiration: to what extent the visualization encourages the audience to take action or learn something new about the Emirate.
• Dataset: at least one dataset from the Ajman Government’s data sources provided needs to be used and mentioned https://www.ajman.ae/en/ajman-data.
Accepted submission will be published and recognized on the Ajman Government unified website Ajman.ae. A monetary prize of up to AED 10,000/- will be handed/delivered accordingly. Awarded submissions will be also posted on the official portal of the emirate: www.ajman.ae with the winner name and social media contacts for 1 year.
Important Dates (all in UAE Standard time zone)
• The challenge will start on the 10th of November, 2020 on www.Ajman.ae
• The submission will close on the 1st December, 2020 at 11:59pm
• The presenter will present the idea using CoDesk virtual session on the 8th December, 2020.
• The winners will be announced on the 10th of December, 2020 during the GITEX 2020 Technology week.